Department of Microbiology
"To serve humanity using Microbiology as a tool"
Microbiology is the study of microorganisms. Microbiology typically includes the study of the immune system,. Generally, immune systems interact with pathogenic microbes; Microbiology is a broad term which includes virology, mycology, parasitology, bacteriology and other branches. A microbiologist is a specialist in microbiology and these other topics.Microbiology is researched actively, and the field is advancing continually. The field of microbiology can be generally divided into several subdisciplines like Microbial physiology,Microbial genetics,Cellular Microbiology, Medical microbiology, Veterinary Microbiology, Evolutionary microbiology,Industrial microbiology, Aeromicrobiology, Food microbiology, Pharmaceutical microbiology, Agricultural microbiology, Soil Microbiology, Water microbiology ,Generation microbiology, Nano microbiology. Microorganisms can be used for the industrial production of amino acids, antibiotic, enzymes, vitamins etc. A variety of biopolymers, such as polysaccharides, polyesters, and polyamides, are produced by microorganisms. Microorganisms are used for the biosynthesis of xanthan, alginate, cellulose, cyanophycin, poly(gamma-glutamic acid), levan, hyaluronic acid, organic acids, oligosaccharides and polysaccharide, and polyhydroxy alkanoates. Microorganisms are beneficial for microbial biodegradation or bioremediation of domestic, agricultural and industrial wastes and subsurface pollution in soils, sediments and marine environments. There are also various claims concerning the contributions to human and animal health by consuming probiotics (bacteria potentially beneficial to the digestive system) and/or prebiotics (substances consumed to promote the growth of probiotic microorganisms).Recent research has suggested that microorganisms could be useful in the treatment of cancer.
Preamble of the Department
Department of Microbiology, one of the Premier Department of the College is established in the year 1997 with 34 students in the UG Programme and in the year 1999 PG programme was started with 45 students. The department has launched its Research programme on the year 2004. Along with the Degree programmes the Department offers Diploma Course in Medical laboratory technology and Certificate courses in Biofertilizer production, Vermicomposting, Food preservation and of Spawn production. The strength of our Department is the function of the synergy produced by the vision-driven management and inspirational faculty. The Department has produced meritorious students with Ranks in the University Examinations and provides high quality students to Companies, Research Institutes, State agencies and Private Sectors. Various measures are taken by the Department for overall development of the students. We encourage our post Graduates and Research scholars of our Department to publish their Research work in Scientific journals and Conferences through which we have made notable contribution to Microbiology. We are also involved in conducting various activities like Seminar, Workshop, Guest lecture, Community service programme, Educational visit etc.
- To be able to collect, analyze and interpret scientific data, including developing a familiarity with microbiology laboratory techniques and safety procedures.
- To develop proficiency in the quantitative skills necessary to analyze biological problems (e.g., arithmetic, algebra, dimensional analysis, and statistical analysis as applied to biology), with a knowledge of specialized techniques used in microbiology.
- To describe fundamental principles of biology e.g., central dogma, diversity of life, inheritance and how these principles relate to microorganisms.
- To describe unique microbial genetic systems (i.e., prokaryotic and viral genomes, lateral gene transfer, plasmid structure and function, etc.)
- To gain familiarity with the role of microbes in human disease, the role of microbes in issues of international health, and the human immune response to microbial infection.
- To better understanding of the key principles of microbial functioning at an advanced level of Molecular, Biochemical, Industrial, medical and other basic and applied applications
- To ability to design and carry out experiments (safely) and to interpret experimental data
- To be able to present their work through written, oral, and visual presentations, including an original research proposal.
- To get awareness of ethical issues in Microbiology research and careers options.
- To possess an in-depth understanding of the area of Microbiology chosen for research emphasis.
- To have a sound theoretical knowledge of the structure of micro-organisms.
- To know how to collect specimens for the diagnosis of infectious diseases.
- To be able to set up tests for investigation of infection and interpret the results.
- To be equipped to initiate research in at least one major area in Microbiology, e.g. Virology, Bacteriology, Parasitology.
The department has an association entitled BAF V. It was started in the year 2000. For the benefits of students through the association the department is conducting many programmes.
- Conducted socially relevant training workshop for urban persons in vermi composting and biofertilizers.
- Conducted awareness Programmes on Self-Hygenic practice and Epidemic outbreaks for rural people.
- Conducted Training Programme in Food Preservation Methods for Self help groups.
- Conducted Career oriented program on "Production of Spawn"
- Conducted Extension Activity on "Importance of Lifescience"
- Conducted Extension Activity on "Biofertilizers and its Application"
- Center for Cellular and Molecular Biology(CCMB), Hyderabad.
- Pasteur Institute of India, Coonor
Staff Training Programmes
- Staff training programme on cooling centrifuge, SDS PAGE, PCR, Blotting techniques and DO meter.
- Lab Facility
The Department has well equipped and sophisticated separate laboratories for UG and PG students. It emphasis on creation of the strong infrastructure for Research. Our laboratory provides Hands on experience and enhances professional competence, Practical skills, Exposure and abilities to work on technical advances, thereby equipping the students the range of abilities and expertise necessary for embossing on a scientific carrier.
The laboratory is enriched with specialized facilities like
- UV-Visible Spectrophotometer
- Refrigerated Centrifuge
- Rotary Shaker
- Electrophoresis Apparatus
- BOD Meters
Department has been serving the academic community and general readers through our department library. The Department has more Indian and foreign authors Books.
Through our Department we have organized
- National Conference
- Guest lecture
- Community Service Programme
Research and Development
Mrs.P.Gajalakshmi, Assistant Professor, Department of Microbiology has got Minor Research project approval, entitled "Isolation and Detection of Antimicrobial Substance From Marine Actinomycetes" by University Grants Commission.
B.Sc., Microbiology / Course Structure under CBCS
(Applicable to the candidates admitted from the Academic Year 2008 – 2009 onwards)
SEMESTER Part Course Title of the Paper I I Language Course I(LC) Tamil / other Language II English Language Course I (ELC) III Core course – I (CC) Fundamentals of Microbiology Core Course II (CC) Practicals pertaining CC I and CCIII First Allied course I (AC) Biochemistry I Theory First Allied course II (AC) Biochemistry Practical II I Language Course II (LC) Tamil/other Language II English Language Course II (ELC) III Core course – II (CC) Practical pertaining CCI and CCIII Core Course III (CC) Microbial metabolism First Allied course II (AC) Biochemistry I Practical First Allied course III (AC) Biochemistry II Theory IV Environmental Science IV Value education III I Language Course III(LC) Tamil/other Language II English Language Course III(ELC) III Core course – IV(CC) Introductory Virology Core Course V(CC) Practical pertaining CCIV, and CCVI Second Allied course I(AC) Biostatic theory Second Allied course II(AC) Biostatic Practical IV Skill based elective I Non major elective I Mushroom technology IV I Language Course IV(LC) Tamil/other Language II English Language Course IV(ELC) III Core course – V(CC) Practical pertaining CCIV, and CCVI Core Course VI(CC) Immunology IV Second Allied course II(AC) Practical biostatistics Second Allied course III(AC) Computer Application in biology Skill based elective II Non major elective II Microbial disease V III Core course VII (CC) Medical Microbiology Core course VIII(CC) Agri and Environmental microbiology Core course IX(CC) Microbial Genetics Core course X(CC) Practical pertaining CCVII,CCVIII and CCIX Major based elective I Bioethics Major based elective II Bioinoculants IV Skill based elective III Skill based elective IV VI III Core course XI(CC) Molecular Biology Core course XII(CC) Industrial Microbiology Core course XIII(CC) Microbial Biotechnology Core course XIV(CC) Practical pertaining CCX,CCXI and CCXII Major based elective III Food Microbiology IV Skill based elective V Skill based elective VI V Extension activities
M.Sc., Microbiology/ Course Structure under CBCS
(Applicable to the candidates admitted from the Academic Year 2008 – 2009 onwards):
SEMESTER Course Title of the Paper I Core Course- I(CC) General Microbiology Core Course- II(CC) Virology Core Course-III(CC) General Biochemistry Core Course-IV(CC) Practical I- Pertaining CCI, CCII, CCIII Elective – I(CC) Biological Techniques Elective – II(CC) Food and Dairy Microbiology II Core Course- V(CC) Microbial Physiology Core Course- VI(CC) Environmental and Agricultural Microbiology Core Course-VII(CC) Microbial Genetics and Molecular Biology Core Course-VIII(CC) Practical II- Pertaining CCIV, CCV, CCVI Elective – III(CC) Any one from the list Elective – IV(CC) Any one from the list III Core Course- IX(CC) Immunology Core Course- X(CC) Medical Microbiology, Core Course-XI(CC) Genetic Engineering Core Course-XII(CC) Bioprocess Technology Core Course-XIII(CC) Practical III- Pertaining CCIX, CCX, CCXI& CCXII Elective – V(CC) Any one from the list IV Core Course-XIV(CC) Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Project Work
SEMESTER Course Title of the Paper I Course -I Research Methodology Course - II Microbial Genomics Course- III Microbial Biotechnology Course – IV Practical I- Pertaining CCI, CCII, CCIII II Dissertation and Viva-Voce Viva Voce 50 marks
Dissertation 150 marks
Eight students participated in National Seminar on at Sri Vinayaga College of Arts and Science, Ulundurpet on 8th February 2012.
II B.sc & III B.sc students from the Department of Microbiology participated and presented paper in National Seminar on "Cutting Edge Microbial Research and Challenges" organized by Bharathidasan University Tiruchirappalli on 25th and 26th February 2013.
S.No Year of passing Names Degree Rank 1 April-2014 S.Kanagathara B.Sc 14th
- Immediate Mastery Quiz: When a regular immediate mastery test is included in the last few minutes of the period, learners retain almost twice as much material, both factual and conceptual.
- Latest Newspaper clippings relevant to the subject are displayed on the Notice board to provide greater exposure to students.
- Business Administration
- Computer Applications
- Computer Science
- Fashion Technology & Costume Designing
- Nutrition & Dietetics
- Hospital Administration
- Forensic Science
- Food Technology & Quality Control
- Aviation Management
- Funded Projects